These are some rough notes from the first organizational meeting of Occupy Lubbock, which took place Tuesday 10/4 at J&B Coffee. Over 20 people attended this initial meeting.
Ideas brought up before the group include:
* rally at the courthouse
* occupying the corner sidewalks of an intersection during daylight hours, possibly 19th St and University Ave
* spreading the word through flyers, social media, and community notice boards
* a community service event
* a rally at City Hall near the end of a business day
* an event to raise awareness of the homeless in Lubbock
And some guiding principles were discussed:
* this is a leaderless movement and all are welcome
* keep it nonviolent at all times
* keep cameras ready at all times to document what goes on at events
* cleanliness and a neat appearance are important at events
We also registered OccupyLubbock.org at the meeting and launched an initial website.
Watch OccupyLubbock.org and facebook.com/OccupyLubbock for announcements about future meetings and events.